Sunday, October 03, 2010

Charice talks Glee, Boys, and Botox with People Magazine

After that flattering feature in Newsweek, Charice this time graces the latest issue of People magazine which devotes a one-and-a-half color page in a Q&A that brings the wit and humor of what People calls “Oprah’s protégée.”

The intro recalls how Charice, at 16, was discovered on YouTube, guested on Oprah Winfrey’s show, did a duet with Celine Dion and became known only by her first name. Charice has dropped her surname Pempengco after she was told by her estranged father to stop using it. At 18, Charice is making waves as the newest member of Glee, playing a Filipino foreign exchange student.

Some people have been wondering if Charice was here to pave the way for the singing contest named after her Glee character Sunshine Corazon in Barangay Gulod in Cabuyao, Laguna, where she grew up and first sang on the same stage where the SC contestants competed in an effort that, yes, any of them could be another Charice. All I know is that Charice is coming third week of this month to perform at Hitman David Foster and Friends show on the 23rd at the Araneta Coliseum.




Anyway, Funfare is printing the People mag’s “girl talk” with Charice to show how far she has gone from a barrio lass to an international star.

How is it playing Sunshine on Glee?
Charice singing Because You Loved Me with Celine Dion in New York City in 2008

“I can relate to her because I was nerdy, wore glasses and didn’t talk much in school. Glee is my favorite show ever. I was so nervous, but on-set everyone made me feel so comfortable.”

Let’s talk about boys. Are you dating yet?

“No. I’m not ready. I’m happy being a kid. Oprah told me, ‘Boyfriends can wait. Being a kid is once in a lifetime’.”

When you are ready, what will you look for in a guy?

“He has to be funny. That’s the main thing. Because I’m funny. Well, that’s what my friends tell me.”

How are Filipino boys different from American ones?

“Boys in America are more mature; 13-year-old boys here have girlfriends! But Filipino boys are so romantic. They give roses and chocolates. In high school six guys sang a Korean song I couldn’t understand in front of my house. It was so cute.”

Do you have any celebrity crushes?

“Justin Timberlake. Josh Groban. Jake Gyllenhaal. When I met Justin, I thought I was going to faint. He was like, ‘Charice, you’re so great!’ But Jessica Biel was there, so I was like, ‘This is not my night…’”

Why did you get Botox injections in July?

“I got it for jaw pain, not for wrinkles — I don’t have any.”

Were you surprised at the backlash?

“It was so ridiculous. You can check pictures of me before and after; I’m still the same. I’m never going to change my face. God gave it to me, and I’m proud of it.”


SOURCE